Loud banging when washer stops drawing water

Old 03-19-06, 05:08 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Loud banging when washer stops drawing water

Hello All;

Everytime my washer stops drawing water I get a load bang that rattles my water pipes. Any idea what I can do to stop this? My washer is a high end brand and model...I did not expect to have this type of issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-19-06, 05:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Check (if you can) to see if the water lines are secured (clamped to studs). If you are using "warm" water for the washer, turn off one supply at a time and see if the noise is coming from both supplies or just one (hot or cold). It may be a bad washer on one of the supply valves. The washer solnoid shuts off the water supply very quickly and this causes any bad situation to be worse. Good luck.

Old 03-19-06, 06:30 AM
G
hey majakdragon,

Thanks for the reply. when you say "bad washer on one of the supply valves"...is that something where the valve needs to be replaced? Do you think it is something a homeowner can do? I'll be checking the clamps and testing as you mentioned in your reply as well.

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-19-06, 06:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
On most washer supply valves, they are like an outside faucet. You can turn off the house water supply (if it's the hot water you can simply turn off the inlet valve at the water heater). Then the valve can be disassembled or changed. Some are threaded onto the pipe but others are soldered. If it is soldered, I would try disassembling the top part of the valve and replacing the washer on the end of the stem. It's a DIY job.

Old 10-03-06, 06:30 PM
S
I'm also having a very similar issue. Mine does it when the dishwasher runs and will continue for about 20min. after it's done, at least. When I first turn it on, it bangs quickly----bang-bang-bang-bang-bang---about 10 times in a min. It eventually subsides to about one bang every 1 min. until it's done running.

Once it's done running, and an half hour has passed, it will then continue to bang about every 2-3 min. almost like clock work.

I have a valve on the hot water line under the sink that leads to the dishwasher. I shut it off completely and the noise is gone---I think. Every hour I hear something, but it's not the same noise.

House is 1.5 years old, copper piping and I have the air relief valves used for water hammer on the hot AND cold water lines under the sink where the aforementioned valve is located. I've also checked the piping in the sink area and in the basement to see if it's hitting anything. I can't locate anything where I see the piping to be loose. It IS loose under the sink where there's the hole to go to the basement, but if I shake the pipes, it doesn't make any noise.

I wonder what the next step for me is? Replace the valve? Is it possible it's the diswasher pump?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: