Softener backwash drain problem

Old 03-20-06, 01:29 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Softener backwash drain problem

We live in south Florida and our water softener equipment is all outside next to the house. We were having a problem with the softener not working correctly so this morning I backwashed it manually to see what was wrong. Basically, the softener was set not to backwash at all, but that is not what I'm asking about.

We just replaced some Areca palms on the side of our yard because they were dying and we didn't know why. When I manually backwashed the system I noticed that the backwash was draining right into the yard, and right into the palms. The drain was underground but I could see it bubbling up and draining into the mulch next to the palms we planted.

What can I do about this drain? Can I bury it deeper or divert it someway so that I don't kill any more plants? Our soil is basically pure sand and we have a well and septic system. The house is only a year old. Thanks for your ideas.

Old 03-20-06, 02:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
jjohnson823, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Most of those discharge tubes are made of PVC pipe. You can extend it with a coupling and some more pipe or put a 45 degree fitting on the end and steer it away from the plants. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: