Venting drain pump for bar sink

Old 03-25-06, 08:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Venting drain pump for bar sink

I am adding a bar sink to my basement and will be using a Zoeller pump w/tank to pump up to my main sewer pipe, about 7' up (just under joists). My main question is whether I need to have this tank vented to a certain point. The water that would be in the tank would be virtually clean. I understand the need to have air intake for proper pump operation, but does the vent need to go outside? Or can it just be vented inside (tank will be in unfinished mechanical room) with a "J" at the top so it is just higher than drain connection to the main?
Also, I was going to use a P trap between the bar sink & tank, but would I also (or instead) need one where the pump discharge pipe connects to main to keep sewer gases out at that point? That way no gases would get into tank itself.
Thanks for any info.
This DIY forum has been very helpful for other aspects of my basement finishing project!

Old 03-25-06, 11:04 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> does the vent need to go outside?

I don't see why.
I assuming that you are pumping into a section of pipe that is vented.

> Or can it just be vented inside ?

You should have an air admittance valve downstream from the trap at the sink.

> with a "J" at the top so it is just higher than drain connection to the main?

Can you put in two? One to vent the holding tank and one to pump wastewater through?

> I was going to use a P trap between the bar sink & tank

Yes.

> would I also (or instead) need one where the pump discharge pipe connects
> to main to keep sewer gases out at that point?

No. Wouldn't help anyway. Would only aggravate the problem.

> That way no gases would get into tank itself.

The problem is the reverse of what you think. Gas will form in the tank.
How are you going to vent it?

Old 03-28-06, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info bolide, though I'm not sure I follow a couple of things you're saying.

Why the AAV? If I have the tank vented, wouldn't the sink-Ptrap-tank system all be vented, no different than std drain into DWV system?

Also not sure how I'd get two "J"'s at the top. I'm now actually not even sure what purpose a "J" would serve for either the tank discharge pipe or vent pipe I already have a 1-1/2" san. tee with stub capped off, tapped into my horizontal run of 4" DWV. Could I put a 1-1/2" tee on this stub (with tee leg coming off the top) and have both the discharge and vent pipe go into this tee (vent going to top of tee)? This would seem to invite the possibility of having the vent draw in from discharge.
Thx.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: