Blowing out Water Lines

Old 03-28-06, 06:08 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blowing out Water Lines

I am plumbing a cabin, that will be unoccupied and unheated during wintertime. I read where you could use Schrader valves to blow out your waterlines so they would not freeze. If someone would take time to help me out I have some questions. The cabin is layed out simply with the water line coming in at the bathroom, there is one sink, one commode, one stand up shower, and the hot water heater all in the bathroom or adjacent utility room. The water lines then run up to a second floor behind the wall and then drop down to the kitchen sink where they terminate. Where should I put the Schrader valves? Do I need one on each water line? If so do the valves need to be on the second floor, thus the highest point? Also when blowing out the lines, should I open all faucets or only one at a time? Is a bicycle pump sufficeint to blow out the water or do I need a small compressor? Sorry I am so dumb to all this, this forum is great, as I have used it a lot. Thanks for everyones time.

Old 03-28-06, 07:50 PM
A small compressor is required to blow out the lines. Schrader valves can be used on all the drops that lead to the fixtures they supply. Use the brass caps that can be bought to go on them that has the rubber inner seals so they do not leak/calcify.

Old 03-29-06, 05:15 AM
P
thanks Dunbar, do you think that one Schader valve on each line at the highest point will blow out all the water in each line, or should they be put on each drop? And what exactly do you mean by "drop" Thanks

Old 03-29-06, 05:43 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would think that a Schrader valve at the highest point of each line (hot and cold) would do the job. You also have to get the water out of the main supply line if it is exposed. If you are on a well, you should have a union at the tank where you can drain the water after shutting off the power to the well pump. The water heater drain should be open and water emptied using it. Make sure you open a hot faucet to keep it from air-locking while draining. Then use the compressor to clear the lines. You will also have to fill the toilet and sink traps with an RV antifreeze to keep sewer gas out and yet still keep the traps from freezing.

Old 03-29-06, 11:23 AM
P
thanks a lot that is exactly what i needed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: