Basement Bathroom

Old 04-04-06, 12:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement Bathroom

I am planning to install a bathroom and sink in the basement but I would like know to what is involved before I start. Here is the situation.

My house is a two-story house with a 7' basement. The distance between the main vent stack and where I'd like to put new bathroom is about 30-40 feet. In other words, most of my plumbing are at the opposite end of the house. The mian stack runs across the house below the concrete foundation before it leaves the house to the city drain. There is a p-trap before it leaves the house. Right after (or before, not sure) the p-trap, there is a 6" cast vent pipe which rises up about 6 ft and elbow and vent outside, just below the first floor floor. There also is a clean out opening near the p-trap. My questions are 1) Do I need to install another vent to the roof or is the existing vent sufficient? 2) Can I connect the toilet and sink drain to the clean out opening? I can always disconnect if problem arises. Otherwise, I will have to cul the floor and install a wye. I hope my explanation is clear enough. Thank you for your advice.

Kevin

Old 04-04-06, 04:14 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bc9ltjj
I am planning to install a bathroom and sink in the basement but I would like know to what is involved before I start. Here is the situation.

My house is a two-story house with a 7' basement. The distance between the main vent stack and where I'd like to put new bathroom is about 30-40 feet. In other words, most of my plumbing are at the opposite end of the house. The mian stack runs across the house below the concrete foundation before it leaves the house to the city drain. There is a p-trap before it leaves the house. Right after (or before, not sure) the p-trap, there is a 6" cast vent pipe which rises up about 6 ft and elbow and vent outside, just below the first floor floor. There also is a clean out opening near the p-trap. My questions are 1) Do I need to install another vent to the roof or is the existing vent sufficient? 2) Can I connect the toilet and sink drain to the clean out opening? I can always disconnect if problem arises. Otherwise, I will have to cul the floor and install a wye. I hope my explanation is clear enough. Thank you for your advice.

Kevin
Sounds like you've a lot of floor cutting to do - which is the best way to connect into your existing system. Also, you will need to add another vent to your bathroom as the existing one is to far away - however, you can tie into it with your new vent line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: