Soldering Tips

Old 04-07-06, 06:35 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 178 Posts
Soldering Tips

Hello,

I'm in the process of completing a rather extensive re-plumbing of the house, and up until last night, all has been going well. I turned the water back on for the first time, and while I was quite proud of the soldering job, there is one fitting that has a leak. Since I've been in this position before, I didn't think it would be a problem - drain the pipe, ensure it's dry, and resolder. But obviousy (since I'm here asking), I'm having problems resoldering it.

It's 3/4" copper into a brass ball valve (with bleed). I'm pretty sure it's dry because I don't see steam when its heated, and I can get the pipe and valve hot enough to melt the solder. But the solder melts on the pipe (not from the direct torch heat), collects at the bottom, and drips off. I'm thinking it's a lack of flux, but since the pipe is 95% soldered, I can't get flux into it.

So are there any suggestions? I'm hoping there's an easier solution than cut the pipe, pull it apart, clean, flux, and start over.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Mike

Old 04-07-06, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you are not getting the valve body hot enough. The pipe melts the solder and gets hot enough to let it drip, but the valve is not hot enough to suck the solder into the joint. Try heating the valve more. It would be better to disassemble the joint but you MAY get lucky. Good luck.

Old 04-08-06, 07:24 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 178 Posts
Majak -
Thanks for your help. I tried again today and it must have been a heating problem. I guess putting it aside for the night was a good plan (plus your assistance).

Thanks again for your continued help and expertise.

-Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: