Which Brand of Bathroom Sink Fixtures to Avoid?

Old 04-07-06, 05:28 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which Brand of Bathroom Sink Fixtures to Avoid?

I made the mistake of buying 3 Glacier Bay faucets on closeout. Of course there were problems & Home Depot no longer stocks them, so I am going to have to pull the leaking pair from the master bathroom vanity & replace them w/ another matching pair. I noticed that the Glacier Bay drain pipes are all plastic. Is that common today?

Which brands should I seek & which should I avoid, besides Glacier Bay?

Old 04-07-06, 05:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,287 Upvotes on 1,225 Posts
I believe you get what you pay for. I buy Moen. Delta would be my next choice.

Old 04-07-06, 10:06 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Do you want single handle or two handle? I like Moen single handle but if you have a lot of mineral content in your water (hard water) you may have long-term problems with the Moen cartridge. You can alleviate this problem by once a year (or so) pulling the cartridge and doing a thorough cleaning.

If you prefer two handle it is hard to beat Chicago Brass...but be prepared to spend a chunk of money.

I do not like Delta but I will state that my experience with them is on their older models, current production may be just fine.

Stay away from Peerless.

Old 04-08-06, 06:11 AM
R
It sounds like Moen in the brand to buy. I am looking for a dual handle.

Who carries Chicago brass?

Thanks!

Glenn

Old 04-08-06, 06:30 AM
W
Received 35 Upvotes on 29 Posts
I was going to say "you get what you pay for" but somebody beat me to it. I have Moen and Kohler in my house and I'm happy with both. I probably prefer the Kohler for looks plus I had a problem with a Kohler fixture, called the company and I had the repair parts the next day.

BTW - I've heard rumors that some big box stores sell a lower quality of brand name plumbing fixtures i.e. plastic internals vice brass, less wall thickness etc. Does anyone know if this is true?

Old 04-08-06, 08:14 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoseRx
Who carries Chicago brass?
I suspect that he meant Central Brass.

Old 04-08-06, 09:11 AM
R
I too would be interested if the BB stores carry lower quality fixtures to compete on price.

Old 04-08-06, 10:00 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Many manufacturers make lower quality products, however, most also have a different name on those products. Sears does not make any products but have the Kenmore brand that is made for them by different manufacturers. Check the warranties on products. Most major plumbing makers have warranties and some are lifetime. You also have to look at the fact that the Big Box stores buy in large quantities. This gives them the ability to buy cheaper than the hardware down the street. Walmart does this with everything they sell. Home Depot also has products made "exclusivley" for them, you already have some of those. Hope this helps.

Old 04-08-06, 05:46 PM
Most faucets are worth about what you pay for them. Glacier Bay faucets are made by the Globe Union Faucet Company for Home Depot. They are mostly from Taiwan and China.
GB does have a lifetime warranty, so if you call the 800 # they should send you parts.

There are different schools of thought on lav and kitchen faucets. Buy cheap and replace the whole thing every few years. Pay a lot for a faucet which will last for 20++ years. Something between... Your choice./

If you poll plumbers, you will find many whose first choice is one of the major brands....PP, AS, Moen, Delta. These are the most widely sold brands, so parts availability is usually not a problem. Most folks I know recommend AGAINST the off-brands, or designer brands. Even thought these can be quite pricey, you have no way of knowing about quality or future parts availability. Ask the folks who invested in a Broadway Faucet!

Old 04-08-06, 05:50 PM
Anyone familiar with Buck Knives? A well known brand of top quality pocket and hunting knives. MADE IN AMERICA.....EXCEPT for the products sold in Walmart. They cannot make a knife in this country at the price point Walmart demanded, but because it is such a big chunk of business, Buck set up a line in China to supply Walmart. All of their other knives are made in America, ( formerly in San Diego county but 2 years moved to Idaho for cheaper insurance, labor cost, and elctric and water costs).

Old 04-09-06, 12:51 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bolide
I suspect that he meant Central Brass.
Nope, I meant Chicago Brass. You won't find them in any big box store. You may have to buy them from a plumbing supply or wholesaler.

Old 04-09-06, 02:21 PM
J
I really like Kohler. I just put in a kitchen faucet from them, and it was by far the easiest install of a faucet I've ever done - much better than either Delta or Moen (my normal choices for the house). I didn't need to deal with a basin wrench, it was a pleasure to install.

Otherwise, I've had good luck with both Delta and Moen.

Please note - I'm a homeowner, not a professional.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: