CSST fitting

Old 04-11-06, 06:38 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
CSST fitting

Hello. I have a question about using CSST fittings (Tracpipe brand, straight auto-flare). A new fitting has a bit of grease (or similar compound) holding the split rings to the adapter. Presumably the purpose of this grease is to make it harder to lose the split rings while making up the connection. Or maybe the grease helps the auto-flaring process.

Question: should the grease be cleaned from the mating surface before making up the connection? It is my understanding that flare type connections should be a metal-to-metal seal, so I would think that the grease could interfere with this.

Thanks,
Rich

Old 04-11-06, 01:37 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs down

> I have a question about using CSST fittings (Tracpipe brand, straight auto-flare).

I strongly recommend that you complete the manufacturer's simple training program and obtain your certification showing that you are a knowledgeable installer.
My concern is not the questions that you do ask, but rather the ones that you didn't ask.

Fuelgas piping is not something to tinker with. If you are unable to obtain certification, that tells you that you are not qualified to install it and you should leave it to someone who at the very least has a valid manufacturer's certification and has remained current with the manufacturer's design and installation guide.

Old 04-11-06, 03:21 PM
C
I certainly appreciate your concern. I did read the installation guide, which was not specific on this point. I was expecting some helpful person to respond with their practical experience.

Old 04-11-06, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crosstalk
I was expecting some helpful person to respond with their practical experience.
It's much better to ask your instructor. Perhaps you expect someone to condone your installing this material without certification from the manufacturer.
I can't overlook this. Without a manufacturer's certification, you are not a qualified installer no matter how good you think you are.

The training is probably free through your local distributor of CSST. You've already read the textbook. So I really don't understand why you don't have your certification.

Call manufacturer and ask them where the purpose of the substance is explained. If you are correct that the information is missing from the installation guide, they will update their materials to correct any errors or omissions about it, and mail an updated copy to you once it is printed.

Old 04-11-06, 07:16 PM
crosstalk,

This site is loaded with helpful people that contribute freely to those with plumbing issues and other topics of interest. The subject matter you are inquiring on dictates a poised question in regards to your credentials on using a product that requires a certification. I truly believe you wouldn't of posted the question if you had such requirements.

Subjects like these categorize under topics of Freon and natural gas line installations to some degree. Can't give advice to someone neglecting the mfg. strict requirements to use/install such product. I'd say a little more in depth than ripping a tag off a mattress.

I have certifications on the old Wardflex and the current Gastite systems. Too often this product gets in the hands of the uneducated and before you know it, the product is misused/installed improperly and now you have victims of circumstance.

DoitYourself.com will take no part in any information trading of this particular matter.

The training/certification of this product is a free 1-2 hour class with instruction on how to use, what to avoid and an open book test. It does not get any easier than that. If for some reason an accident occurred, the first thing an insurance company is going to hammer after is the credentials of the installer. No credentials, you own the judgement of liability. If human life is affected, it will be considered criminal neglect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: