Acid Wash UV Bulb

Old 04-13-06, 08:58 AM
sgklein
Visiting Guest
Acid Wash UV Bulb

Is it easy to replace a UV bulb? A new one was installed 3 years ago and I've heard they need to be replaced yearly. The orig owner told me to replace the bulb and also clean the tube with muiric acid (he left a bag of it behind).

So I assume the bulb would be easy to replace, but I'm not sure about the acid wash. How much should be poured in? Does it need to be drained out? Where does it get disposed...I have septic and don't like to pour anything down the drain that could "disturb" the natural balance. I've read that muiric acid only dissolves lime...is that correct?

Old 04-13-06, 02:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it easy to replace a UV bulb?
Yes. Most simply twist and pull out from the front of the UV fixture.

I've heard they need to be replaced yearly.
Correct. They usually don't last much more than that anyhow, but after about a year, they develop a film on them that blocks a significant amount of UV light.

How much should be poured in?
None should be poured in. The bulb has to be removed and the acid can be poured or wiped onto it (holding it over the sink, carefully, with gloves on). It won't bother the septic tank. Rinse the bulb and the sink well. Make sure the bulb is completely dry before reinstalling.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: