Plugged sink...can I open the bottom

Old 04-14-06, 04:27 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plugged sink...can I open the bottom

I have a hellish plugged sink, tried drano didn't help much. (I have kids so I am suspecting something else might be down there). I looked under the sink and there is a s curve and looks like a release type plastic screw. Do I just unscrew that? If so, with what?

Please advise.

Old 04-14-06, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The curve SHOULD be the trap. Since you have put Drano into the pipe, wear rubber gloves and eye protection and disconnect the curved pipe. have a bucket under it to catch the water that will be in the pipe. Now, you can either snake the pipe out or put it back together and use an enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare. Enzyme cleaners cling to and "eat" organic matter. takes overnight but does work. Available at Home Centers, Hardwares and Walmart. Good luck.

Old 04-14-06, 05:36 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a little plastic screw, undo that or take the whole s curve off? Also, do I need any "glue" type stuff to screw it back on?

Thanks.

Old 04-14-06, 05:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
There will be a screw ring on either end of the "trap" Undo both of them, and as stated wear rubber gloves, releasing the trap. Tilt it into the pan and empty the contents. You will probably find the ranger toy in the trap. There is a clear washer that slips onto the tailpiece pipe on one end, so don't lose it. That is your seal. It is best to replace them, but unless you damage it, you will be ok. No glue, just screw the enlarged portion of the trap to the sink tailpiece and the other end to the other screw ring which goes into the wall. There is no seal there, as the trap has a rounded bevel which self seals.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: