Basement rough in

Old 04-14-06, 05:21 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement rough in

I'm building a new house and it includes a bath rough-in in the unfinished basement. Simple question, what exactly does that mean? What is included (or should be) in a rough-in?
thanks

Old 04-14-06, 05:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The rough in will encompass the installation of a capped 1 1/2"sink drain through the floor adjacent to a wall. This will allow you to build a 2x4 wall and include it in the wall space. (Hopefully they will have thought enough ahead to have installed a vent through the roof during construction and capped it off in the basement for future use) It will also have a sealed toilet drain about 16 or 17" from the concrete wall, here again allowing you to build a wall and still have 12" from the finished wall (3 1/2" stud and 1/2" wallboard). There will also be a shower pit about 12" square with either gravel or sand in it and possibly covered with a black plastic cover with a capped 2" pvc pipe sticking out of it. This will be positioned so you can install a standard 5' x 32" shower/tub unit after walling it up.

Old 04-14-06, 05:51 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by eeprof
I'm building a new house and it includes a bath rough-in in the unfinished basement. Simple question, what exactly does that mean? What is included (or should be) in a rough-in?
thanks
It means the piping is (will be) in place but no fixtures installed.

Old 04-15-06, 06:53 AM
E
Question placement of rough-ins

Thanks for the responses...

ok - I think I have seen all of these pieces - the pipes, the black man-hole cover looking pit in the basement. I guess what I don't have insight into is where the walls were envisioned to be. Based on your measurements I will go see where they thought the walls should be. How hard will it be to put the drains where I want them to be now that they are in there?

thanks

Last edited by eeprof; 04-15-06 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-16-06, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You won't determine where the drains go. That has already been determined by the people who built the house. The toilet, of course has already been determined. The sink is moveable, as it is only the drain and vent in place, now. You can go to the right or left a moderate amount, depending on the design of your vanity and sink placements. You will build a wall around all the perimeter of 2x4's. Measuring from the wall at the foot end of where the tub will go, measure 61 1/2" and build another wall 33" wide at the head end of the tub unit. Make sure it is square with the back wall. This is where the tub will go. You will note the black box is slightly inset from where this wall will go. You now have an alcove where you can fit either a 30 or 32 inch tub/shower unit ( I prefer 32)
This was a short primer for installing a bathroom from stub out, so I know you will need more in depth information. Post back with specific questions and we'll see if we can handle them.

Old 04-19-06, 04:58 PM
E
Question Really confusing description - maybe the diagram will help...

OK - now I really need help - probably from someone who could actually see the rough in, but here goes. There are two 3" pipes in the floor, the closest wall to one is 7'8" (it's 9'10" from the other nearest wall). The other one is 2' 8" away and it's 9' from the wall (10" closer than the othr one). The mystifying piece is the 2" (i.d.) pipe that is only 3" offset from the last one in one direction and 2" in the other. Confused? Wait, there's more... The pit - covered with duct tape - may be be an ejector pump? or something like that? Where the waste water is pumped up and out of the basement? That's what a friend told me - anyway, it's really screwing up my design since he says I can't cover that... and the placement of the other 3 pipes - 2 close together, one apart, is confusing me as well. The one apart is probably the toilet, the other two are the tub/shower and the vent? I dunno... I'm an electrical engineer, this plumbing stuff has me baffled.

<---------7'8" ---------->O <- 9'10" from the "south" wall

<----------------10'4" ------------>O <- 9' from the "south" wall
<------------10'1" ------------>o <- 8'10" from the "south" wall

<------------10' ------------->( ) <-22" diameter "pit"

the bottom edge of the pit is 6' 4" from the "south" wall

^
N

I tried...
thanks for looking.

Last edited by eeprof; 04-20-06 at 04:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: