Outdoor faucet repair

Old 04-16-06, 04:40 PM
Outdoor faucet repair

Hi all, I am a newbie who is desperate to keep as much money in my pocket as possible, anyway......
I have an outdoor faucet (round handle, marked Nibco 1/2") approximately 21 years old. The initial problem was that you could not shut the water all the way off, now it has deteriorated to the point that you can barely control the water at all. I assume the washer inside is shot. I have attempted to separate the two parts of it to access the guts, but it is frozen. I have tried heat (propane) and wd-40. It looks like it is almost impossible to de-solder, push or pull the pipe away from the wall, cut it and resolder. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-06, 04:50 PM
lkrides, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
You will have to turn off a water valve inside the house or turn off the whole house water supply. Then turn the nut under the handle counterclockwise until it seperates from the threads. Then turn the handle and the stem should come out. The bad washer is on the end of the stem. Good luck.

Old 04-17-06, 06:08 AM
Hi Majakdragon, thanks for your quick reply. This thing is 21 years old, I don't think the stem can come out with out separating the two parts (which are frozen together). I'll take a second look. Any ideas on un-freezing the two parts of the faucet?

Old 04-17-06, 06:16 AM
I had a similar situation, couldn't get the old body off without tons of trouble and guts were frozen in there. What I did was to use 2 pipe wrenches to get the guts out then bought a new whole assembly, stripped the guts out of it and put them in the old body. It took a lot of muscle and tore up the nut on the old guts but that was ok because I was replacing it anyway.

Old 04-17-06, 06:28 AM
Replacement hose bibs are pretty cheap. If you can't get the bonnet off with a bigger wrench, just cut the pipe on the other side of the wall and install a new one. Just don't forget to shut the water off.

BTW - If you are in a freeze zone, get a hose bib with an extended stem. On this type the valve internals are inside the basement.

Old 04-17-06, 06:41 AM
You are going to need to check and see how the outside faucet (hosebib) is connected to the supply piping. It may be a "frost-free" as Wayne stated. These go into the house a ways (8 to 14" and either screw or are soldered to the supply pipe. This type cannot be repaired as the actual "seal" is at the back end of the unit. Yours may just be the short type that screws onto the pipe just behind the flange that is against the house. That type would be easily replaced.

Old 04-17-06, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I wish i could access the pipe on the other side of the wall, unforntunately it runs between floors for about 20 ft. before it reappears in the utility room. It is clamped to the floor joists in the utility room, so I assume it is clamped to the floor joists in between the floors. Do you think I could cut the pipe in the utility room and force it out?

Old 04-17-06, 06:46 AM
This one is probably not "frost free". It is soldered on just behing the flange.

By the way this forum is great. I have never received advice as quickly anywhere else.

Old 04-17-06, 07:14 AM
As long as you can get to all the clamps ro get clearance, you could probably do it that way. Check for screws in the flange on the outside and any sealant that may be holding the hosebib in place. Then use a coupling to resweat the pipe after replacing the faucet.

Old 04-17-06, 07:55 AM
Last question (don't want to become "persona non grata"). I won't be able to remove the clamps on the floor joists in between the floors. It is about 20 ft. Do you think I can force it out?

Old 04-18-06, 04:00 PM
Hi, We don't know where you live but if you are in a warm part of the country you can replace the hose bib, either unsolder it or if you have enough room cut it off. You have to drain the line to unsolder the bib. I drill a hole in the bottom of the valve to let the water out.. When you have the bib off and looking at the end of the pipe, solder on an adapter male or female and buy a bib to fit it so next time all you have to do is unscrew the bib to relace it. Why plumbers solder on hose bibs is beyond me.
Good Luck Woodbutcher