Plumbing needed for new sink install??

Old 04-16-06, 08:29 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Plumbing needed for new sink install??

I am currently doing a semi remodel of our kitchen. I bought countertop and sink at Lowes and plan on installing this weekend coming weekend. Right now I have an old heavy porcelin sink that is probably 100 lbs!! It has 2 drains and the plumbing is metal. I just need a checklist of what I will need. I would like to go w/ plastic, but I have heard some heated discussions of which is better. The new sink is a koehler standard size double basin sink 8" in. deep. Right now the plumbing on the sink has a "U" shap from drain to drain then off the "U" is the "S" part of the plumbing(sorry forget the tech. name) Guess thats all. THANKS

Old 04-16-06, 09:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> I would like to go w/ plastic

I prefer plastic.

> but I have heard some heated discussions of which is better.

For drains? What is the other contender? chrome??
PVC is cheaper and lasts longer. Don't dump hot oil down PVC pipes.
(In fact, don't put any oil down any pipes.)

> (sorry forgot the tech. name)
tail pieces, center outlet waste arm, and an S-trap.

Old 04-17-06, 06:23 AM
W
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
You can purchase PVC drain kits at most home centers. Look for a kit with two tailpieces, a two drain center arm and a trap. If you have a dishwasher be sure to purchase a tailpiece with a dishwasher drain tee.
For the supply side, metal flex hoses are the easiest to install. They are inexpensive and available in different lengths.

Old 04-17-06, 06:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Unless you are reusing the strainer assemblies, you need two strainers with baskets ( I really like the Spin and Grin brand). Two flexible (prefer stainless) supply lines, continuous waste drain (connects the two sink drains) and trap assembly. Also need plumbers putty for the drain basket installation and probably around the base of the faucet unless it has a rubber/plastic seal included in the faucet kit. Also silicone to seal the sink to the countertop and probably teflon tape or paste for the basket to pipe connection. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: