Low/No Hot water Pressure in Master Bath

Old 04-17-06, 04:24 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low/No Hot water Pressure in Master Bath

Ok--house is 5 years old, copper piping. Home winterized, I turned supply line on to hot water heater after I lit pilot.

Cold water pressure is fine throughout 2 story home. Hot water pressure is fine in all parts of home except Master Bath (MB).

At first, hot water pressure line was fine. Now the tub, shower and sink all have low pressure on hot water side...cold is fine. I disconnect hot water supply line to sink faucet....have plent of pressure. Therefore, I have draws some assumptions and would like to get input from the experts.

Upon firing up the hot water heater, generated alot of sediment in tank. This sediment went to path of least resistance...the first outlest I turned on (which happened to be MB). Based on "success" with sink faucet I assume I have some sediment build up in "mixing valves" of shower and tub.

My "assumptive fix" is as follows: cap the outlets for both the tub and shower (by the way separate tub and shower). Leave the hot water supply line to hot water heater "off". Open drain valve on hot water heater (with hose attached). Then turn on tub/shower valves half way (should be half hot/half cold). Because outlets are capped, cold water will by pass outlet and flow into hot water side of line (no pressure here because supply line to hot water tank has been turned off). BIG ASSUMPTION HERE NOW....cold water that bypasses valve will dislodge all sediment that is currently in hot water valve and flow back down to hot water heater and out. Leaving me with clean hot water pipes with good hot water pressure!!

Seems too easy...that's why I need the experts to weigh in.

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-17-06, 05:29 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Rehab Guy, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Too much assumption. The water may not bypass in the valves. Some do, some don't. Shut off the house water supply.Then remove the handle(s) and stems (or cartridges) and then turn the house water back on to flush any debris out of the mixing valves. Have something over the openings to catch/block the water from flying all over the place. Then do a flush and drain on the water heater. Good luck.

Old 04-17-06, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rehab Guy
cold water that bypasses valve will dislodge all sediment that is currently in hot water valve and flow back down to hot water heater and out.
If you are draining your water heater anyway, I don't see where it will hurt to try.
Even if you pull the cartidge and clean it, it is a way to flush the HW lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: