Water Hammer Arrestor

Old 04-17-06, 04:38 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Hammer Arrestor

Ever since I swapped out my hot water heater a couple of years ago I am experiencing the water hammer effect.
Whenever the hot water heater goes on (even with no fixtures on) I have a bang for a split second. I just purchased an oatey in-line water hammer arrestor. My question is this….where would I mount this? On the hot side near the water heater or the cold side (water in)?

Thanks for your help

Patrick

Old 04-17-06, 05:35 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
phynes, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Since it happens without a fixture being on, I don't think its a hammer problem.
I have to assume that your water heater is gas since you can tell when it comes on. I would say that you have a combustion problem with the heater burner. Your "new" unit may require more air to burn properly. If it is in an enclosed area (closet etc), leave the door open and see if it changes the situation. If not, you will have to check the burner area for something possibly blocking air flow. Good luck and let us know.

Old 04-17-06, 06:06 AM
P
It seems to happen when the propane water heater initially goes on, when it needs to heat up the water. Obviously if I put on the hot water from a faucet, eventually the water heater will kick on. The water heater is located in my basement unenclosed with plenty of air flow. I think I might try the arrestor thing since it's something I can do myself and relatively unexpensive. I just need to know where to place it in the system (hot or cold line and what area, ex before/after water heater)

Thanks

Old 04-17-06, 07:36 AM
If you are going to install the arrestor, I would suggest putting one on each (hot and cold) line. In areas where they have been required, I always had to do both lines. In Florida, we used a 12" piece of copper pipe that was capped for an eliminator. Each fixture had a tee installed behind it. The side opening was for water supply and the upper end had the piece of capped off copper extending upwards for hammer elimination. Good luck and let us know if it works.

Old 04-17-06, 08:43 AM
P
When the water heater first turns on to heat the water, which line is it accessing? hot or cold? I will try installing the arrestor on this line first. How close to the water heater should it be?Also can the arrestor be installed in a horizontal position or does it need to be verical? Thanks again for the assistance

Old 04-17-06, 09:53 AM
The cold line is being activated to fill the water heater. I would put it as far out of your way (in case you have to replace or work on the heater) as possible. It has to be vertical. water hasmmer is caused by air in the line. Air in water rises and the unit has to be able to accept this air.

Old 04-17-06, 09:54 AM
P
Will do . Your the man. Thanks for your help!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: