unused bathroom

Old 04-17-06, 11:54 AM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
unused bathroom

got an upstairs bathroom that is unused now since the kids moved out. wondering if i need to run some water every now and then, shut off the water to the sinks and toilet, or what? i want it to be least maintenence as possible as i dont go up there much either...
it has 2 sinks, toilet, and a tub/shower combo with ceramic tiles
thanks!

Old 04-17-06, 12:22 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would suggest just running water through all the fixtures about every two weeks. This keeps the traps full so you do not have sewer gas coming into the house. Also keeps the water in the pipes from becoming stagnant. While I think that other water usage in the house would "pull" some of the water out of the lines, the shut-off valves and such will be getting a chance for calcium deposits to build up and cause problems later with shutting off the water supply if you needed to. Good luck.

Old 04-17-06, 12:23 PM
W
Received 25 Upvotes on 21 Posts
If you don't run some water occaionally you are risking the fixture traps drying out. I don't know your setup, but a trap w/o water usually provides an open path into the house for sewer gases.
Shutting off the water supply will have no effect on this.
If it were me, I would either accept having to run water in each fixture occasionally or I would have the drains capped or plugged permanently.

Old 04-17-06, 01:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Depending on humidity, a toilet dries out within weeks.
If it won't be used at all, shut off the water and flush it empty.
Let it dry out for a week or so, and fill the bottom with mineral oil.
Then tape a black garbage over the top of the bowl to seal it off.

Realistically, it's too hard to remember to check it every couple of weeks.

Sinks dry out more slowly and have deeper traps. But you still need to pour a little water down the drain every month or two to keep the trap sealed.

Old 04-17-06, 08:49 PM
chetmichaels
Visiting Guest
thx for replies, that is what im doing now...i shower up there every 2-3 weeks or so
guess i'll take a whiz in there at the same time

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: