frost-free faucet advice

Old 04-19-06, 12:34 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
frost-free faucet advice

I have 2 Mansfield frost free faucets that are 1.5 years old. Over the winter I disconnected hoses and turned off the water. Now when I attach my hoses with sprayer handles, the pressure from the water in the hose is causing the handle to leak water. It does not leak where the hose attaches-the leak is on the wall side of the faucet. Are Mansfield faucets that bad? I was told Woodford is better. Does this need repair or replacement? I wanted to attach multiple hoses with a timer but can't do that with a leaky handle. The faucets attach indoors to a PVC pipe. One of the faucets was placed in the garage next to drywall (a contracter's decision I severely question) I removed the handle but couldn't see anything to replace. I assume it is way inside the faucet shaft.
Any advice would be appreciated as plumbers are very expensive!!:

Old 04-19-06, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome, andreal,

> It does not leak where the hose attaches-
> the leak is on the wall side of the faucet.

On this sillcock which is the "wall side of the faucet"?

Is the leak where you can see it?

Is it leaking in the garage?

> Are Mansfield faucets that bad?

More likely it was installed at an incorrect angle of where the wall is inadequated heated in the winter.

Most people don't heat their garages, at least not enough.

> I removed the handle but couldn't see anything to replace.
> I assume it is way inside the faucet shaft.

Correct. But if you have the water OFF, you can turn the shaft counterclockwise and it will come out.

If the valve body is split, you have to replace the whole thing.
And assuming that this was was install at the correct angle, a new one could freeze next year.

Old 04-20-06, 07:24 AM
A
answers to frost free questions

First, thanks so much for answering!
The weird thing on how this one is installed is that the sillcock is on an inside wall of the garage and the shaft is inside my basement, so I don't think it froze there. The other faucet is on an outside wall with the shaft in the basement, too. That area is heated fine inthe winter.
The leak is in the screw handle, before the place where the hose attaches, on the outside of the wall. If you are facing the faucet from the outside it is in the handle, but on the inside part of the handle so it sprays on the wall. There is no leak inside the wall or inside the house. I can see the water coming out of the handle when the faucet is on and the hose is attached with the pressure backed up from having a sprayer attachment on the end of the hose. There is minimal leaking if a hose is not attached and the water is turned on. So the pressure backup from the hose with sprayer attached is the biggest problem. But that is how most of us attach the hose and use it! You make it sound like even if I replace the faucet I will have the same problem every year.

Old 04-20-06, 07:36 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
> the sillcock is on an inside wall of the garage and the stem is
> inside my basement, so I don't think it froze there.

Okay.

> The leak is in the screw handle, before the place where the hose attaches,
> on the outside of the wall. If you are facing the faucet from the outside it
> is in the handle, but on the inside part of the handle so it sprays on the wall.

Well, you had removed the handle, right?
So if you remove the handle while it is turned on, you should be able to see exactly where the leak is.

If it is something that can be tightened, sealed, or replaced, then it can be fixed.

If it is a crack in the valve body, it needs replaced.
(But this suggests manufacturing defect, physical damage, or impropert angle of installation.

> I can see the water coming out of the handle when the faucet is on

So how about with the handle removed?

> You make it sound like even if I replace the faucet I will
> have the same problem every year.

I thought it was an outside faucet.

Anyway, determine the cause of the problem.
If it is improper installation and you improperly install a replacement, then the problem will come back again someday.

Old 04-30-06, 07:02 PM
Spike
Visiting Guest
Very similar problem...

Bolide (or others with knowledge)

My sounds almost the same. I have been using my Mansfield outdoor faucet for a while and it's been working fine. Today however, after about the 5th use (just did some planting and I really need that puppy working) I discovered that when the handle was turned off all the way, water still flowed from the faucet.

The other indication that I've got a problem is that when the water is restricted (sprinkler, soaker hose, etc.) a large volume of water sprays out of the back of the handle towards the wall of the house. There is no leaking inside the house (basement, heated). After turning off the water in the basement to the faucet, I unscrewed the faucet knob as though I were turning on the water but just kept turning. The long shaft, grommet and gear all look like they're ok.

Here's my question. Is it possible that the faucet handle and shaft should be replaced before I start playing with a torch and soldering?

Any other ideas for solving this? Right now I'm watering by using the shutoff in the basement for controlling the water - not an elegant solution.

Thanks
Spike

Old 05-01-06, 12:51 PM
Spike
Visiting Guest
Red face My faucet solution

I purchased a service kit for my Mansfield faucet, and for about $14 I was back in business. The faucet knob was not shutting off the flow of water and unscrewed from the spigot way too easily.

Cheers
Spike

Old 05-05-06, 03:56 PM
HOME BOY
Visiting Guest
Same problem

I have frost-free Mansfield faucets that I am assuming are original to this 1972 home that I just purchased. I seem to be experiencing a similar problem (i.e. the faucets leak through the back of the handle when the valve is on.) Does anyone know where I might find disassembly and repair instructions for these faucets? I haven't even been able to remove the handle.

Old 05-05-06, 08:51 PM
Go to the mfg. website for breakdown of faucets. Or gooooooooogle the brand name and most times the breakdown shows up on them if you are looking under images.

Old 05-11-06, 04:22 PM
B
Unknown MFG. of frost-free faucets

I have a 5 yr old house that I finished building about 4 yrs ago. A couple of weeks ago I turned on the outside faucet and water sprayed out the hole in the stem just behind the handle. I've tried replacing the washers in the end of the rod that extends into the basement, but that doesn't stop the water from spraying all over me when I turn on the faucet. I have been told the faucets are 15 yrs old, but like I said the house is only 5 yrs old. I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace the whole faucet assembly, but it looks like it has been soldered to the house copper piping. Did some company make frost-free faucets designed to be soldered to the interior piping? The only markings I can find are on the outside of the body. The body is nickel hammertone. One side says USA and the other looks like A8P, but might be ABP. The handle is green & oblong. Assuming I have to replace the whole thing, could I use compression fittings to attach the new faucet to the copper piping?

Thanks

Bob Hayes
Chiloquin, OR

Old 05-27-06, 07:28 AM
A
ABP faucet problem

I don't have an answer but have the exact same faucet at the guy with the ABP frost-free faucet. I would like to buy replacement valves which are all on one stem. Mine must be about 15 years old too. If anyone has a lead please let me know.

Mike

Last edited by alltradesjack; 05-27-06 at 07:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: