Help with hot water pipe vibration/noise

Old 04-19-06, 05:38 PM
silverstate
Visiting Guest
Question Help with hot water pipe vibration/noise

A friend of mine has a weird noise that happens every time he turns on the hot water at his kitchen faucet. No other faucet or fixture in the house causes this, just the kitchen faucet. When you turn on the hot water (two handle faucet/standard electric tank water heater) the water flows just fine until the point at which the hot water reaches the faucet then you hear a noise that sounds like a vibration. Not a one time hammer, but an ongoing vibration sound, and the hot water coming out of the tap starts pulsating. If you turn on the cold water, then this stops. Last weekend he had a leak in his basement, and apparently this pipe vibrating finally wore a hole through the copper pipe right where it was being secured to the floor joist by a copper J hook. After we soldered in a new piece of pipe, the vibration is still there. While I was under the house, I had him turn on the faucet, and the pipe is physically vibrating back and forth. Even when I held the pipe securely to the joists, it was still vibrating. The Hot water heater is about 2 years old, so I don't think that there is a problem with that. I thought it might be the pressure reducing valve on the city water connection, but wouldn't a failure there cause this on every pipe and not just the one hot water line to the kitchen faucet?!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-19-06, 10:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Disassemble the hot side of the faucet & look for anything loose, especially the washer.

Old 04-21-06, 05:27 PM
silverstate
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestion, you were really close. When I went over to take the handle valve out, he told me that it also does this when the dishwasher runs. Well, as it turned out, there was a three way shutoff valve. We replaced that shutoff, and it doesn't do the shake and vibrate thing anymore.

BIG THANKYOU

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: