repacing sewer line

Old 04-21-06, 07:53 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
repacing sewer line

I live in an old house with terra cotta sewer piping. From the city to the house has been replaced and the rest of the house is all new plumbing. I have already had one collasped pipe which I temporarily fixed but the whole line needs to be replaced. What type of pipe do you recommend I use - ABS or PVC. The line out to the road was replaced with PVC.

thanks

Old 04-21-06, 08:04 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would continue with PVC. Some people like the ABS and claim it is easier to work with. Make sure of what materials are permitted in your local area. Good luck.

Old 04-21-06, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I might claim that ABS is easier to work with. But I would not use it, especially outside. I would use either schedule-40 PVC, or, if deep enough, SDR-35. 4" gasketed sewer line is easy to assemble (no solvents), the joints are a little over 13', and it is approved in many areas for the outdoor sewer lines.

Since a section is already PVC, it makes to most sense to continue with the same material. From you description I am not clear on what has already been replaced or what exactly collapsed.

If there is vehicular traffic over the line use schedule-40 PVC, keep it is deep as possible, and backfill with a stable material like coarse sand or 1B gravel. Do not cover with just clay as wet clay does distribute the crushing pressure from around the pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: