Leaking shoe assembly on clawfoot tub

Old 04-24-06, 09:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking shoe assembly on clawfoot tub

Ah, back to plumbing...

I've gotten my tub in, and connected the drain and supply lines. Everything's fine--except that there's a small leak where the shoe assembly meets the drainpiece. I had a really hard time tightening the drain because (as you know), you need to keep the shoe assembly straight to line up with the drain line, but you lose any point of leverage on the drainpiece almost immediately. Any ideas?

It's possible, of course, that I've done this entirely wrong, so here's what I did:

The drainpiece is in the hole in the tub, with plumber's putty underneath it. Then, there's the cast iron tub; immediately beneath that is the rubber gasket, then the fiber gasket, and then the shoe assembly. Is that the right order? And/or is there some trick to making this joint tighter so I can finally use the $^%$&* thing?

thanks.

Old 04-24-06, 09:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think you have the parts in the right order. I usually put putty on the strainer, push it into the tub, then reach underneath & wipe off the excess putty - otherwise it can push the gasket away. I also have a tub strainer tool, makes it easier to get it snug.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: