Strange foundation drain problem

Old 04-25-06, 09:28 AM
cdfree
Visiting Guest
Strange foundation drain problem

My house has two holes in the cement basement floor--one in the laundry room and one in the garage. When I run the kitchen food disposal it appears that something is backing up and overflowing from the hole in the garage. Thus it smells like spoiled food. I should say that I *think* it's the disposal--it could be a toilet but I doubt it. Anyone have any thoughts? I am not even sure what the purpose of the holes is.

Old 04-25-06, 11:29 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Holes

Sounds like you have a broken line under your slab that has never been fixed. I think that you will have to get someone to look at the prob. Sorry.

Old 04-25-06, 03:38 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I suspect that the "holes" are floor drains that have lost their grate covers. These should have traps immediately beyond the "holes" and if so, then the traps have most likely dried out. Try pouring a quart of water down each hole. If this cures the smell issue then simply pour a little water down each hole every month.

Now if you actually have the "hole" in the garage upchucking, then you probably have a partial plugging in the drain line at a point "downstream" of the floor drain connection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: