Basement drain

Old 04-27-06, 08:32 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement drain

See if this sounds right. I have 1 floor drain in my house (1929).
It is partially under wood panels so this is the first I removed the cover to drop a bottle of main line cleaner down.. It is about a 3 inch pipe clay for the first couple of inches, then there is about a 1 1/2 gap (not broke) where you can see the dirt foundation and then another diff type of pipe starts.
I discovered this after putting the gallon of cleaner down, because it didn't seem to drop very far. When I finally looked down the pipes I saw that the cleaner sitting just under the second pipe. In other words it had not just gone completely down the pipe.

It seems wierd cause I had always assumed this was tied into the other drains in the house. I'm wondering if I should wait and try to snake it or put a hose bomb down it. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-27-06, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The word "cover" is confusing me. Do you mean a cover that just sits on top of the drain (either with or without holes in it) or a screwed in cap/plug? If it is actually a drain, it has a trap down in the floor. That would be why not all the cleaner you placed into it is gone. If it had a cap/plug in it, it is a cleanout. No trap and is either plugged up or not connected to the rest of your plumbing. Good luck.

Old 04-27-06, 12:38 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey Dragon, the drain has a large 8 inch steel plate with holes in it, that just lifts off. I am at the basement ground level, I don't understand where a trap could be, unless this is what I am looking at. BTW I found the Zep's drain aid at Home Depot. No luck at Lowes, Wal-Mart, and 2 hardware stores.

Old 04-27-06, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The trap is in the ground. Picture it this way. Your bathroom sink. The top edge of the sink is the basement floor. The trap is just like the one on the sink and is under the concrete, in the ground. If it didn't have a trap, sewer gas would be entering the house.
I can get Draincare almost everywhere here. Sorry it wasn't available for you as easily.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: