hot water barely dribbles out of kitchen faucet

Old 04-28-06, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot water barely dribbles out of kitchen faucet

My kitchen sink has separate hot/cold handles. Cold water runs fine, but hot water dribbles out in a thin stream; it takes about 5-7 minutes of to get to the warm water, but it never flows more than as a weak stream. A friend suggested checking the shut-off underneath the sink, it's turned on and still virtually no flow. Bathroom, laundry, etc. have good hot water flow. The house is old (built 1927); I don't know age of plumbing. When I bought the house six years ago, the inspector said it would need plumbing in 7-10 years.

Is there any simple solution I've overlooked, or do I need to call a plumber to crawl under the house and redo pipes? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-06, 12:48 AM
Does the faucet have a side sprayer? if so it sounds like the diverter valve may be clogged with debris. I had the exact same problem with the hot side of my kitchen faucet. The problem was that my hot water heater was full of lime scale and this was plugging up the diverter valve on my kitchen faucet, hence only a trickle of hot water at the kitchen sink.
Quick fix for me was to remove the diverter valve, permanent fix was to replace the water heater...

Old 04-29-06, 05:11 AM
Try disconnecting the supply tube at the shut-off valve under the sink and holding a rag over the valve while you turn it on and off 2 or 3 times. Scale may be blocking the valve. While you have it disconnected, hold a container under the supply line and open the hot faucet, then open the cold (which is still turned on) and it MAY backflush any debris in the faucet itself. Good luck.