Pipe & outdoor faucet repair - need help

Old 04-29-06, 12:52 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pipe & outdoor faucet repair - need help

I hooked up my hose today to my outdoor faucet getting ready to wash the car. I turned on the faucet and water filled the hose to the water spray attachment, but then water started to pour out of my house below the faucet once the pressure built up.

Something is very wrong so I open up the access panel and check the pipes - everything in there is dry, so it's got do be in the faucet itself. However because the faucet is coming out of the side of the house I have to heat up the pipe and remove the faucet from the house to see what the problem is.

And here is where my problem starts: I break out my propane torch, fire it up and hold on the joint where I want to seperate the pipe and fully remove the faucet. But I cannot get the solder to heat up enough to seperate the pipes! I've done water pipe repairs before and haven't this kind of trouble. I mean, I'm even blistering the paint on the other side of the dry wall - this pipe runs between 2 dry-walled sections with about 1/2 inch on the back side of the pipe .

But I've held the fire on this joint for 15 minutes straight and I can't get the joint to seperate. The faucet outside is open and there is no water coming out so its got to be dry.

What is this? Do I need to buy a hotter torch? Is this some kind of special solder? Help!

Old 04-29-06, 02:24 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rather than wait I went ahead and bought a MAPP gas torch. That got the pipe off pretty quick.

Anyway, here's the problem:

http://www.daverancour.com/bustedpipe.jpg

Off to the store to buy the replacement. Still glad I found this board though

Old 04-29-06, 06:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
When you install the new one, make sure it is tilted slightly down on the outside. What happened in your case is 1. the sillcock was tilted back and held water this past winter and froze. 2. Someone, not you, left a hose attached to the faucet all winter with water in it. Good luck with the replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: