When I flush, it backs up onto the basement floor.

Old 04-29-06, 05:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When I flush, it backs up onto the basement floor.

Okay. Terminology is not my forte. But when I flush, or run water in the tub (without the drain plugged), I get back-up out of what I think is the main drain (the hole in the floor) all over the floor. I tried a snake but either I'm running into roots or a corner I can't maneuver. Am I actually trying to snake the main drain, or is that the trap and I'm just being ridiculous? There is what I believe is a clean out nearby, but the washing machine drain tube has been stuck into that by the last owners.

I got some root killer, but since I'm supposed to add it to the toilet and flush, I'm a little leery about trying that. I'm tempted to pour some down what I keep calling the main drain, but if that's not what it is, I'm thinking I ought not.

Help. And thanks.

Old 04-29-06, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Three choices. 1.Call a plumber or rent an auger yourself to do the entire drain to the street. 2. Call the city or county and have them auger from the street to your house, cutting the roots. 3. Replace the drain cover in the basement with a one way drain valve which prevents backflow. They are retrofittable.
The valve is a temporary fix. It sounds like you have roots in your drain line and if it can't be augered, you are in for a replacement of drain lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: