AAV vs. 'in line vent'

Old 05-03-06, 08:11 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
AAV vs. 'in line vent'

Is there a difference between these two products besides the name and price. i bought an 'in line vent' for 5.80, and this seems to be the same product as other AAV's I have looked up, but the price is 3 to 4 times cheeper. Anything I should know about before I install this to vent my bathtub. Thanks in advance

Old 05-04-06, 08:33 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You're not likely to plumb the bathtub very many times, you should consider running a vent pipe to either:

1) above the roof line

2) tie into an existing vent.

IMHO, studor or AAV vents are essentially a very poor way to avoid a few hours work.

Old 05-05-06, 08:08 AM
F
Thanks for the reply Steve. I agree, the problem is I can't properly vent the tub without notching some joists right at a spot where two floors were poorly joined years ago. The tub itself weights a hundred pounds without water. I just don't feel comfortable notching these. The other fixtures ( toilet and sink) on the line are vented through a 3' vent, but I thought an AAV would be insurace. I have no experience with them though and people have mixed emotions about them. Can they leak? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 05-05-06, 08:24 AM
Aav

AAV's are a poor substitute for a real vent off your fixture, they will go bad. If there is any way that you can run a real vent thats the way I would go. Luck.

Old 05-05-06, 09:44 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There's usually some space between the tub & the wall. That space can sometimes be useful for piping if you aren't able to get a vent into the wet wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: