Main Stack Vent

Old 05-04-06, 04:18 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Main Stack Vent

Does the main stack, running from basement floor to roof, have to be straight or can it go over into another wall before continuing up? If so, is there any codes, like only at 45 degree connections, no 90's. Not sure if it matters, but I live in a ranch in Buffalo, NY. Thanks, Kevin.

Old 05-04-06, 08:25 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The main vent can offset. Make sure that it's the vent & not the stack; that is, if fixtures are draining into it, the offsets should be long-turn bends, like long-sweep 1/4 bends or 45s and provide clean-outs. If it is the vent, offsets are usually acceptable; try to keep them to a minimum. Plastic pipe should not go through a firewall, but cast-iron is ok. If it freezes where you are, you should use an increaser (one pipe size) after you go through the roof (or look up the local codes - it does not freeze where I work).

Old 05-06-06, 07:06 PM
I guess you didn't notice that I mentioned I live in Buffalo, NY. Yes it freezes here. The pipe is now a 3" Galvanized pipe running from floor to roof. I have plans to expand the bathroom on the first floor and wish to move the wall that it runs thru over approx. 2 1/2 feet. The offset would need to be above and below the first floor. I plan on replacing the entire pipe with PVC. My only other options would be to move the roof flange over with the pipe and also bust up the basement floor and move that as well(which I dont want to do if I dont have to). This is the main stack which drains a tub, bath sink, and toilet. Thanks, Kevin

Last edited by kcflip; 06-03-06 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-03-06, 09:33 AM
Just wondering why I can't get a reply on this post? Thanks.

Old 06-03-06, 11:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I thought Steve answered your post, and you were giving additional info. Yes, you can do offsets in sweeps or 45 degrees, but check with your local code guys to see if what you are planning meets their criteria. Also, make sure you have adequate spacing between the floors to do a sweep with the pipe. 2 1/2' may present a problem between floors, since the pipe must always be going up, and never sideways. 2 1/2' is the base of your triangle, and the angle is 45 degrees, so the height of the triangle will be 2 1/2',and the hypotenuse will be 3.53'. Do you have this much room between floors?

Old 06-04-06, 06:08 PM
Should be ok since this is in a ranch and the sweep would be in the attic space, before exiting through the roof(unless I move the roof vent over as well) and the basement, before entering the concrete slab. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: