random loud vibrating noise in house

Old 05-04-06, 07:48 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
random loud vibrating noise in house

I've lived in this house for about 4 years without any problems. About a month ago I started hearing this loud vibrating noise which lasts about 10-15 seconds originating somewhere in the house. It seems to be most intense in my upstairs bathroom. The sound isn't related to any turning on or off of faucets or flushing toilets, it just happens randomly a couple times a day.

Any advice on how I might go about identifying and fixing the exact problem?

Old 05-04-06, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Educated guess says it the toilet fill valve operating. Could be one of two problems. Pour a couple cups of coffee (liquid only, no grounds) into the toilet tank. Let it sit and see if the color comes into the bowl. If so, it is a bad or bad adjustment on the flapper. This allows water to leak into the bowl so the fill-valve makes up the correct level in the tank. Since it is only replacing a small amount of water, it does not open all the way which causes the vibration. If water is leaking into the bowl, check the chain from the handle and make sure it is not holding the flapper up. Proper adjustment is "just" enough slack to allow the flapper to seat. Too much slack will result in short flushes. If the chain is okay and water is going to the bowl, replace the flapper. Many types are available but I would advise finding one as close to what you have as possible. If water is not leaking into the bowl, replace the fill-valve. I recommend the Fluidmaster 400A. About $6 at Home Centers and hardware stores. Really easy to follow installations come with it. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Old 05-04-06, 06:21 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I poured the coffee in the tank and waited. After about an hour or so, the water in the bowl remained clear, so I bought the 400A and replaced the fill-valve. Now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that I don't hear that noise anymore. So far so good.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know if that solved the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: