Weird pipe noise

Old 05-08-06, 05:01 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weird pipe noise

I get this pesky noise coming from the water or drain pipe everyday. Sometimes, the noise lasted 11 minutes..I dont necessarily used the toilet or sink, for the noise to start..i have attached a file so you can hear how loud is the noise. I think all the pipes are connected, the kitchen sink, the toilet, and the shower stall. This noise happens at least 3 times a day, is becoming a nuisance..I have three bathrooms and wondering whether they installed the third bathroom (on 1st level) correctly...Do you think it can be fixed? and whether my home onwer's insurance can cover pesky noises?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bybIX-OefdA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mwb_bmTKTY

Old 05-08-06, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
1-800-ghostbusters. Is this a free standing residence, or a multi-resident condo type building? You say it happens even when no one has used any of the fixtures? How old is the building? Is the first floor toilet an upflush unit?

Old 05-08-06, 06:18 PM
P
hey chandler

house built 1975, single family bi-level on slab, no upflush toilet, 3 bath (2 shower stalls and 1 bathtub) . Yes it happened when no one uses any fixtures, could it be air vent? so what do you think?

Old 05-08-06, 06:46 PM
Knowing all this data, it does sound like a vent problem, but it could be wind noise whistling across the vents. How high are they in relation to the peak of the roof?

Old 05-10-06, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Electrical Problem as well?

I understand at the same time as the noise, one or more breakers tripped. One of the breakers is power to the boiler.

This is a real long shot but do you have programable thermostats & is there a program change taking place at the same time as the noise?

Old 05-16-06, 10:49 AM
P
Yes one of the breakers tripped but i cant blame it on the noise...since this incident happened once, unlike this pesky, lingering noise. I just noticed that this same noise happens when using the shower in the bathroom upstairs....If this is a vent problem where is actually the vent pipe..Attached is a pic of a vent pipe (not sure) on the roof, it may be clogged. I am going to run a snake eventually

thks grady

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...k/IMG_0840.jpg

Old 05-16-06, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Noise

When you were using that shower, did it happen to be during one of the time periods when you frequently hear the noise?

How about the thermostats? Are they programable? Is there a programed change taking place when the noises happen?

Old 05-18-06, 10:53 AM
P
Grady, i discovered that one roomate was using the utilities (shower) in the third bath....So forget about the breakers tripping or boiler shutting down, thought i still cant figure it out why did it happened.. but is irrevelant

So the noise appears when the utilities (shower & toilet) in the 2nd level are being used....Funny thing is that the bath and utilities downstairs dont cause any noise..

Old 05-18-06, 03:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pyro

Thanks for the feedback. You've traced it to an area out of my expertise so I'll back out & let the plumbers see if they can help you. I will continue to monitor this thread just to satisfy my own couriosity. Good Luck.

Old 05-18-06, 06:58 PM
I think we are back to a vent problem. It sounds like you have a blockage above the second floor causing a soda straw effect, by not allowing air to push the water down, like when you take your thumb off the end of the soda straw. Check it out and post back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: