New tub install advice for a real rookie

Old 05-10-06, 07:33 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New tub install advice for a real rookie

I just purchased a new four foot tub. I would like to try to install it myself. I am game to try'er out but obviously a bit nervous. Can someone walk me through some steps and tools required. Like if I pull the tub up what to expect, what do I disconnect. I have a crawl space beneath the house and a closet to access the pipes.

Thanks.

Old 05-10-06, 07:46 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You will have to disconnect the drain. There is probably a flange around the outside 3 sides ot the tub. Normally the wall covering (drywall or whatever) is over this flange. There should be a board across the back side that the tub edge sits on. The back flange may be nailed or screwed to the wall. In other words, you'll be doing some wall demolition. This is also necessary to get the new tub in. Good luck and reply back with any other questions.

Old 05-10-06, 08:01 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by majakdragon
You will have to disconnect the drain. There is probably a flange around the outside 3 sides ot the tub. Normally the wall covering (drywall or whatever) is over this flange. There should be a board across the back side that the tub edge sits on. The back flange may be nailed or screwed to the wall. In other words, you'll be doing some wall demolition. This is also necessary to get the new tub in. Good luck and reply back with any other questions.
Disconnecting the drain...any special tools? I have to rip out the walls as well, I am going to tile.

Do you think it is something a rookie can do? I will do some more research on the net.

Old 05-10-06, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most drains screw into the drainpipe below. Some can be a real pain to unscrew. You will also need to remove the overflow piping as it will probably be in your way for removal. Since you are tearing out walls, you will have a better chance of seeing what the configuration of piping is.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: