DIY Gas line installation for kitchen cooktop?

Old 05-17-06, 11:09 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DIY Gas line installation for kitchen cooktop?

Hi,

We're remodeling our kitchen and will be installing a gas cooktop. At present we do not have any gas lines installed inside the house. Our utility has brought in a line up to but not into our house. There is no meter now, jus a pipe coming up from the ground outside of our basement.

Our basement is 100% accessable and is directly under where the cooktop will go in the kitchen. To the untrained eye, the install doesn't look like a big deal. No major obstacles to deal with, the line to the cook top can be run under the joists next to or between the hot and cold water supplies coming off the water heater. Total distance from outside to inside will be about 40 ft.

After calling a few local plumbers, we finally got one to return our call. He came by and quoted $2,700, which sounded a bit high to us.

Therefore, am nuts to even think that I could do the grunt work on this? i.e. run the gas line from under the cook top out to the entry point from outside?

Although I'm no expert on gas, I know I could sweat solder up some copper water pipes in this basement with no trouble. WIth the grunt work done, we could then call in the pros for final hookup, test, inspection, etc.

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-06, 01:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas line

A lot of places have a local code pertaining to gas lines, the gas meter will not be installed until the line is inspected, that means a permit and test. I don't know of any codes that allow sweat joints on gas lines; a lot of them don't allow copper at all. Your best bet is to find a local plumber that will work with you and see what you can do yourself. FYI the price quote seems way too high. Luck.

Old 05-17-06, 02:20 PM
W
Received 33 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Sometimes guys will intentionally quote high because they don't want the job.
I would keep looking for a plumber to do the install mostly because I get nervous working on things that can go BOOOM if I screw up.
I think it will be real hard to find a plumber that will come in and "inspect" your work. It's a liability thing on top of most contractors resenting DIYer's doing "their" work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: