clear silicone or plumbers putty

Old 05-29-06, 06:25 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
clear silicone or plumbers putty

My drain assembly for my one piece shower is pvc...the metal strainer is screwed to the pvc which also screws on....whats best for sealing the shower lip/strainer to keep the water from getting on the floor under the shower? silicone or putty? Thanks

Old 05-29-06, 04:17 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Smile

Are you trying to re-start this age-old argument again ? Some plumbers like putty, others like silicon. I use putty in some places & silicon in others. Putty contains oil, so it is not used on marble or anything else that might stain (putty will stain marble after a period of time).

Bottom line is, it doesn't make much difference, but in that particular application I would lean towards using 100% clear silicon. Cleanup with alcohol, and you have to be quick.

Old 05-29-06, 04:53 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_gro
Are you trying to re-start this age-old argument again ? Some plumbers like putty, others like silicon. I use putty in some places & silicon in others. Putty contains oil, so it is not used on marble or anything else that might stain (putty will stain marble after a period of time).

Bottom line is, it doesn't make much difference, but in that particular application I would lean towards using 100% clear silicon. Cleanup with alcohol, and you have to be quick.
I bought both today and am leaning towards the clear silicone....

Another question....I have a cultured marble vanity top Im doing as well, will the putty stain that too...not sure the difference between marble and cultured marble? will it stain?

Old 05-29-06, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Plumbers putty will stain any type of marble. Use the silicone on both jobs. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: