Capping existing toilet opening

Old 05-29-06, 11:02 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Capping existing toilet opening

I removed a commode in our utility room and will not be replacing it. I went to the hardware store to get a "cap" for the open pipe in the floor but it does not fit. Do I need to remove the flange in the floor? Will the cap fit over the outside of the pipe?

Old 05-29-06, 11:24 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Are you going to be covering the opening with flooring? Removing the flange could be difficult depending on the material the pipe is. All you need is something to seal the pipe so sewer gas does not enter the house. You could buy a "test plug" and install it and then cover it with a piece of tile. I don't like stuffing the pipe with rags because they somtimes break loose and clog your main drain. You could also take a plastic coffee can lid, cut it to a little larger than the inside of the pipe. Drive a nail through the lid and also into a piece of board that would span the flange. Push the lid into the pipe until the wood hits the flange. Then pour in some cement and let it sit until dry. You could then remove the board and cut the nail off and cover with whatever you want. Good luck.

Old 05-29-06, 11:38 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reply to Majakdragon

Originally Posted by elvis
I removed a commode in our utility room and will not be replacing it. I went to the hardware store to get a "cap" for the open pipe in the floor but it does not fit. Do I need to remove the flange in the floor? Will the cap fit over the outside of the pipe?
I will not be installing flooring over floor pipe - I just need to cap the sewer pipe. Since the cap I bought at the hardware store did not fit I wasn't sure if it was a case of just needing to get a different size cap (I had assumed it was a standard size), or if I had to remove the flange so that the cap would fit down over the outside of the pipe. With the flange in place, I would have to get a cap that would fit INSIDE the pipe and I wasn't sure if that was the proper way to cap it. This is my first time doing this! Thanks!

Old 05-29-06, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You are correct that the cap would have to go over the outside of the pipe (flange removed). If the pipe is plastic, the flange is glued on and you will have a real problem getting it off. Thats why I suggest using something that will go inside the pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: