Main Water Line Repair

Old 06-01-06, 05:48 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Main Water Line Repair

Our Florida house, built in 1970, had a water softener out front, removed by a previous owner.
What's left between pvc main water line from street and house is a double loop of pvc pipe including a drain plug and a shutoff valve, all above grade against the front wall near the front door.
One pvc joint is showing signs of deterioration.
To replace this goofy-looking double rectangle of pvc, can I just use the simplest configuration of pipe that still includes the drain plug and shutoff valve, or is there some reason to include the loop-de-loops of pipe the previous plumber(?) used?
I'm no expert, but I suspect they just used whatever pipe and elbows they had on hand...
Or is there a reason for such complex connections between meter and house?

Old 06-01-06, 08:22 PM
If you can, take pictures of your situation so that we can see your situation.

Post to a photo site like photobucket.com and provide the links to the pictures on this thread.

You may be able to remove it with no problems. Just want to make sure you are describing all aspects before you make the changes.

Old 06-02-06, 04:35 PM
K
thanks -- here are the pix

Here are a couple photos of the problem pipes. I'll appreciate your advice!

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/klynam/

Old 06-05-06, 09:50 PM
From the pictures I would say it would be okay to remove the loop, install a 1/4 turn ball valve right after the plug. The existing valve leading after that is prone to fail over time.

This would be the best application for what you have. Anything outside concerning PVC must be painted/protected to prevent the exposure of UV rays from sunlight. It seems that the only connection failing is the threaded one from PVC to copper.

What purpose does the plug serve inline since Florida has moderate temperatures?

I'd rework it all in copper, eliminate the plug and have the ball valve accessible above ground.

Old 06-06-06, 07:31 AM
Dunbar: "What purpose does the plug serve inline since Florida has moderate temperatures?"

Looks to me like a good place to feed sprinkler system valves!

Old 06-08-06, 11:29 PM
True true. I keep thinking everyone has crazy weather like we do up in KY. One day it's sunny and clear and the next it is freezing and snow covered.

Old 06-11-06, 11:02 AM
K
No need for irrigation: got reclaimed water for that

Originally Posted by DUNBAR PLUMBER
True true. I keep thinking everyone has crazy weather like we do up in KY. One day it's sunny and clear and the next it is freezing and snow covered.
Okay. So, all I really need to do is connect the shortest distance between two points in copper including a shutoff valve, right?

Old 06-11-06, 11:15 AM
Correct........use a full port, sweat ball valve on that copper and you'll never have to replace/work on that valve again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: