Drain Clog Backup

Old 06-05-06, 08:57 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drain Clog Backup

I just bought my first home and have discovered an odd plumbing situation of which I cannot seem to puzzle out. When the toilet is flushed I often get a spontaneous gush of water from the kitchen faucet. This is the main instance for this situation to occur. I have also had the same thing happen where I would run the bathtub and the toilet would push out some water. And there are a couple of other occurances but one should get the general idea of the problem already. I am low to want to bring in a plumber and would rather remedy this myself. If anyone can tell me what exactly this problem is any possibly how to fix it I would be terribly appreciative.

Old 06-05-06, 09:49 AM
W
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
When the toilet is flushed I often get a spontaneous gush of water from the kitchen faucet
Did you mean "kitchen drain" instead of kitchen faucet? The faucet is plumbed to the water supply system and the toilet outlet to the DWV (drain, waste, vent) system. The two are not interconnected. Additionally, the faucet is a valve that further isolates the two.

If you are getting a backup from a different fixture drain when he toilet is flushed, you probably have a problem with the vent piping.

Old 06-05-06, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with Wayne about the vent problem. Go onto the roof and you should see the vent pipe sticking out of the roof about a foot to 18". Look in it with a flashlight. If it is blocked, scoop out all you can by hand and then flush with a garden hose. Good luck.

Old 06-07-06, 09:22 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No, I didn't mean kitchen drain. Like I said, When the toilet is flushed a spray of water comes out of the kitchen sink faucet a good bit of the time. I will definately check the vent system though.
The home I mentioned is not a house but rather a condo in a highrise. A very old righrise as it turns out so teh gods only know what sort of odd problems there are.

Old 06-07-06, 01:18 PM
W
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Like I said, When the toilet is flushed a spray of water comes out of the kitchen sink faucet a good bit of the time.
Wow! That's a new one on me. It would have to be a significant spike in water pressure to overcome the faucet valve. Have you tried closing the faucet as tight as you can?

I could understand a momentary drop in pressure when the toilet is flushed. The empty tank is demanding water from the supply but an overpressure is beyond my limited plumbing skills.

Lets all hope it is the water supply coming out the faucet and not something else associated with the toiliet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: