Elkay Single Lever Cartridge (Water) Problem

Old 06-06-06, 11:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 89 Upvotes on 82 Posts
Elkay Single Lever Cartridge (Water) Problem

I have an Elkay single lever kitchen faucet (late 1980s model) that I replaced the cartridge, rubber diaphrams and O-rings in.

My problem is that the Hot water side doesn't work. I get only a tricke of water on the Hot water side, and then I hear a thump and the trickle shuts-off completely. (The thump sound I hear almost sounds like a valve closing, or something shutting off the water passsage. The Cold water side works perfectly just as it should.

With the cartridge removed I can open the Cold water shutoff valve and get (expected) water pressure coming out of the hole in the lower housing (where the cartridge valve mates up to it. But when I try doing the same with the Hot water shutoff valve I only get a small trickle.

Any idea what my problem is?

Thanks,
Kooter

Old 06-06-06, 08:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 89 Upvotes on 82 Posts
Well, I found out that my lack of water on the Hot water side is not because of the faucet. The cut-off stop valve lost its bibb washer and the loose washer is cutting-off practically all the water.

I ran a coat hanger through the top of the faucet body all the way down to the stop valve and wiggled it enough to temporaily dislodge the loose washer and got water flow. The loose washer is still in the stop valve body, not in the supply line feeding the faucet.

Now I need to figure out how best to fix it.

The cut-off stop valve is straight, multi-turn that was installed in the late 1980s. The brand is Eastman, and it also has Speedflex on the handle. (I understand Eastman was acquired by EZ-Flow.)

I bought a BrassCraft multi-turn valve stop, along with a BrassCraft washer kit in hopes I can retrieve the loose washer in my existing stop and replace it with a new washer...and not have to replace the entire valve. (I think the bibb washer size is a 00 in the new BrassCraft stop I bought.)

Can I just replace the bibb washer in my old Eastman stop with a new size 00 bibb washer?

Kooter

Old 06-06-06, 08:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Something is blocked somewhere, and you have to work your way backwards to figure out what it is. You could turn off the hot angle stop, remove the hot riser from the faucet & point it into a bucket, then briefly open the angle stop. If you get good flow there, the problem is in the faucet. If not, you should turn off the hot water at the water heater and disassemble the angle stop (you could have a helper briefly turn on the hot water while you've got a rag over it). By this time there's a 99% chance that you will have isolated the problem.

{it appears that we were typing at the same time}

Can I just replace the bibb washer in my old Eastman stop with a new size 00 bibb washer?
Maybe. You may also be able to take the stem & packing out of the new angle stop & screw it into the old. Worth a try.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: