Low Shower Pressure

Old 06-12-06, 08:16 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Low Shower Pressure

Getting ready to buy a home and the only problem I've come across that has me scratching my head is the low water pressure coming out of the bathtub faucet and shower. When the home was inspected, they found that the water pressure coming from the street was about 60psi. But the plumber who came out and inspected the bathroom plumbing said that water pressure was "adequate". However, still, when I turn the water on in the second bathroom shower, the water trickles out of the faucet and takes 10-15 seconds to build pressure when I turn the shower on and even then probably not sufficient to even take a shower. Have a similar problem in the master bathroom, but not as bad. The bathtub/showers for both bathrooms are exactly opposite, so I won't be able to access the plumbing from behind without tearing one or both of the showers apart. Basically trying to troubleshoot without having to dig into the walls too much. Is there a way to check for blockage or clean the valves without tearing into the walls? The faucet in the second bathroom is a 2-valve setup while the faucet in the masterbath is a single valve. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-06, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mcook72, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
The double handled unit has seats on the back of the handle stems. The single handle is a cartridge. After turning off the water supply, you can disassemble both to check for blockages. You may just have mineral deposits blocking the flow. If you pull the cartridge, mark the top first so you put it back in the same position. It does make a difference. If you need more help, just reply back. Good luck.