Frozen gate valve

Old 06-12-06, 08:49 AM
W
Received 25 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Frozen gate valve

For the second time in a couple of months I've had to replace a gate valve that had frozen. Both of these valves were in low (no usage is probably closer) usage applications. In both cases I removed the packing nut and bonnet and tried unsuccessfully to pull the gate off it's seat. I cut the first valve out and sweated in a replacement. This time, I'm hesitant to install the same style valve.
Is a ball valve a better choice for a seldom used isolation valve? Both of these valves are used to secure water to my upstairs.

Old 06-12-06, 10:23 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gate valve

Gate valves do not work well in a partial on or off situation, they are not designed for that, you are much better off replacing them with ball valves. Luck.

Old 06-12-06, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A ball valve is the way to go. Gate valves seem to always fail when you need them most.

Old 06-12-06, 12:12 PM
W
Received 25 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Thanks guys - I'm off to buy ball valves.

Old 06-12-06, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'll second the motion to go with ball valves. Gate valves have a depression where the gate seats when closed. Most people install them with the handle straight up. Any debris or mineral deposits collect in this area and prevent closing completely. The gate also has guides on each side and they freeze up causing problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: