Sewer Flies/Gnat Problem

Old 06-14-06, 01:00 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewer Flies/Gnat Problem

Recently I had a room in my basement finished and in the process the guy broke the clean out pipe to the drain line. When the plumber came to replace the clean out pipe I noticed a couple of flies/gnats that came out. When I mentioned this to the plumber he said it was normal and that they just live in the drain pipes. I actually asked my pest control guy about this and he said if they are in the pipes its usually due to a break or a crack in the line. Is this true? I have not noticed any signs of a leak. Do you guys think this is something we should look into? We are on a septic system

Old 06-14-06, 01:45 PM
They can come in at vent pipes too...

Old 06-14-06, 03:26 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Drain flies are one of the biggest problems at sewage treatment plants. They are found in sewer lines and can enter the home through basement floor drains and can become a problem in sink and tub drains. Drain flies are best eliminated by cleaning drains and pipes. An enzyme digester drain cleaner can be used to digest the organic material on which they feed in drains and pipes. To learn more about drain flies, go to http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2071.html

Old 06-14-06, 04:39 PM
M
I know they are a problem at sewage treament plants, but should I be affected as much since we are on septic?

Old 06-14-06, 07:35 PM
W
Received 33 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Assuming all your drains are properly trapped, they shouldn't be a problem at all. I don't see how they can enter the house once the clean out is repaired.

Old 06-17-06, 10:58 AM
M
Can they really enter through the vent pipe? I thought they usually have a screen on top to prevent flies from entering. Is this not usually done?. If not it may be something I need to have done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: