Rotten Egg Smell (Water)

Old 06-16-06, 08:59 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rotten Egg Smell (Water)

We just installed a new bathroom, floor level, and when I turn the hot water on in the sink and shower, I have a rotten egg smell. I don't notice it when I run the cold water. What do I need to do. We have only the one vent for the stool sewage.

Old 06-16-06, 09:47 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am not a plumber but I believe this can be caused by the water heater anode. Since it only does this with hot water I would start at the water heater. Do you get this smell in any other parts of the house. If its only in the bathroom then its possible that its not properly vented.

Old 06-16-06, 05:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
There is a sacrificial zinc anode in your water heater. When it reacts to certain metals, it releases sulfur dioxide, which stinks like rotten eggs. Draining the water heater to get all the bad stuff out is a good idea. If it is an older one, you may want to replace the zinc anode. On the top of the water heater, there are two holes, one cold water and one hot water. There is also a third one which houses the anode. After draining the water heater, you can unscrew it and replace it with another one. Filtering the inbound water with a tandem filter setup (5 micron first, then 2 micron) you will remove alot of the stuff causing the smell.

Old 06-16-06, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It may also be bacterial. Look at this document, from the Rheem website:

http://www.rheem.com/Documents/Resou...ommon/1206.pdf

Last edited by steve_gro; 06-17-06 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-17-06, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
And I incorrectly indicated Sulfur Dioxide, and it is Hydrogen Sulfide. Sorry about that. Chemistry 201 was 40 years ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: