Broken Outside Spigot

Old 06-18-06, 10:10 AM
Broken Outside Spigot

Hi all,
I live in MA (cape cod) and own a 45-yr old house. I cannot turn off one of the outdoor spigots..I think it was fine up until this week.
The make of the spigot is Barret and it is right up against the house. It is probably original issue but I don't know. I can turn off the water to this faucet from down cellar.
This may be irrelevant, but whatever was holding it against the house (screws?) are MIA.
I have very little plumbing experience. Is there a washer or something I can replace or do you think I need a plumber?
Thanks in advance!
Mimi

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-06, 10:25 AM
Most likely there is a washer at the other end of the stem from the handle.I'm thinking it has probably fallen apart so that there is nothing to seal the water flow anymore....probably just crumbled to bits.You'll have to remove the stem from the faucet body and hope that the screw has not broken off that holds the washer in place.Be aware that brass does become brittle with the age factor you are dealing with so be gentle and expect to possibly need to replace either the stem if you can find one or the faucet.The stem will be held in by a nut or bushing which will need to be removed first then the stem "backwards screws" out in other words like opening the faucet.If the lip that the washer fits into is damaged there are ways around that.Take the stem to a real hardware store and they will help you solve the problem.

Old 06-21-06, 09:13 AM
Thanks..any diagrams on what is what?

Thanks for your reply! Are there diagrams anywhere with standard parts to an assembly like this? I'm not sure what is what.
Mimi

Old 06-22-06, 02:32 PM
As many companies in many countries have produced those types of valves and especially with the age factor it's unlikely to find more than a very generalized diagram.Basically you have a stem which has the handle on one end and the washer on the other.It is held in the body of the faucet by one or more nuts or bushings which must be removed to allow removal of the stem.Because of the age you must be careful as brass becomes brittle with age.Depending on the exact condition and situation it may be better to replace the faucet rather than repair it.If you can remove the stem help at a hardware store can get you the parts to repair it.If it needs to be replaced or you feel the project is beyond you anyone with reasonable home repair knowledge could probably do this job not just plumbers.

Old 07-03-06, 07:26 AM
Spdavid- thanks for your help! <eom>

thanks for your help!