Sewage Backup During Storms

Old 06-19-06, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewage Backup During Storms

so my problem is this, after sustained heavy rains the toilet in my basement apartment overflows and will keep rising until heavy rains stop allowing water in the leaching field in my back yard to run off. when the toilet does overflow it starts off with just water then slowly graduates to sewage, we have a septic system, no public sewage. currently when it rains heavy we use a small submersible pump, but that only can suck so much , if you know what i mean. any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-06, 11:18 AM
It sounds like you need some type of check valve in the waste line either outside or just on the line at the basement toilet

Old 06-19-06, 12:10 PM
While it is true that you can install a check valve on the drain line, be aware that you cannot use the drain while the water level is high. It has to go back down before using drains. Good luck.

Old 06-19-06, 01:03 PM
This is the reason why the best place for the check valve is on the line serving the toilet. You should be able to use other fixtures in the house (1st floor).

Old 06-19-06, 03:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If the sewerage is backing up the pipe leading out of the house, installing a check valve will tend to stop the back up, but NOTHING will go out until the water table goes down, and the ball falls in the check valve. So using any of the facilities in the house will just stack itself up on what is already backed up.

Old 06-25-06, 07:35 PM
backups

another negative on a backwater valve of any sort is the time when you need to cable the drains when they clog...as stated before as well....even with the check in place, the lowest point still remains under pressure and all waste will still need to reach the tank outside. i would investigate installing a new leach field...it sounds like the trenches are not absorbing the blackwater anymore

Old 06-26-06, 03:45 AM
It sounds to me like you need better drainage in your back yard. A sptic can CAN be a two way system. If the water table rises above your field lines the water will enter your septic system from your field lines. Keeping water off your yard is going to be imperative. Do you have any place you can divert the surface water to as it rains?

Old 06-30-06, 09:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can easily determine the gallons per minute (GPM) of your existing pump by having it fill a large vessel of known capacity, let’s say 10 gallons. Determine how you would like to improve that performance. Be mindful of your existing available electrical supply and the height the pump should lift water. With this information you can view a selection of pumps such as this that might be useful for your application.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx….

For example this manual pump can lift 10’ feet and move 45 GPM, 115 volt, 11 running amps…. xxxxxxxxx8E-CIM, 1/3 HP, 52 GPM.

Forum Monitors Note:
Post Edited. Link Removed or Edited.
Member Banned for Consistently Advertising
Not Allowed On The Site.
Read The Rules In The Announcements.

Last edited by Forum Monitor; 07-04-06 at 06:27 AM.