Plumbing Traps

Old 06-23-06, 09:45 AM
Plumbing Traps

Are you allowed to make your own traps? Are p traps required for laundry and shower drains?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-06, 02:14 PM
Not sure where you are going with "making your own traps". Traps are required on all drainage lines at the fixture. Traps hold enough water to form a seal so sewer gas cannot enter the house. Vents are to insure that the traps are not sucked dry and allow sewer gas into the house. Let us know if you need more info.

Old 06-23-06, 02:22 PM
drains

Can you put a 90 then an 8" piece in between another 90 going back up. I have a picture if you want to see it.

Old 06-23-06, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
You would probably have too much water to allow for proper drainage. Post the pix and let's see what you are talking about.

Old 06-23-06, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by curtisd
Can you put a 90 then an 8" piece in between another 90 going back up. I have a picture if you want to see it.
No. This lengthening of the p-trap will prevent the trap from being self-cleaning and require more water surface in the drain to move the water.

I would make your adjustments on the drain location, not the trap or trap arm.

Old 06-24-06, 11:05 AM
Are you allowed to make your own traps? Are p traps required for laundry and shower drains?

p traps are def required.laundry tub min trap size is 1 1/2" shower drains are 2".you can make your own with a 180 degree bend and a service 90

Old 06-26-06, 06:03 AM
traps

I don't have permission to add attachments who do I need to ask?

Old 06-26-06, 06:33 PM
Nobody. Go to www.photobucket.com and load the image there, provide the link of your image back on this thread.

Old 06-27-06, 08:02 AM
Trap

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/cdeines/5.jpg

If it doesn't work let me know.

Old 06-27-06, 10:56 AM
That trap is definately too big, and there's no reason it couldn't have been moved over to the washer hookup and a normal trap installed. I'm not sure, but I also don't think you can use 3" for grey water line.

What's the 4" to 3" pipe for on the left for?

Old 06-27-06, 11:27 AM
traps

They wanted to use that line for their dryer exhaust. It actually tied into the vent for the laundry and a shower. Not quite allowable.

Old 06-27-06, 12:35 PM
traps

So it goes back to my original question. Can you make your own trap or does it have to be the manufactured traps? Or is it as long as it is a mininum of 2 inches and a max of 4 inches deep. How long horizonally can it go? is there a dimension?

Old 06-27-06, 01:24 PM
They wanted to use that line for their dryer exhaust. It actually tied into the vent for the laundry and a shower. Not quite allowable.
Well there's that, and using PVC for a heat producing device, and then restricting it.

You can make your own traps, but I don't know what restrictions there are on lengths/height, though I am fairly certain there are some. A long horizontal run has the potential to fill with sediment.

Old 06-30-06, 09:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Traps are a very important part of a drainage system and should be on all plumbing fixtures connected to a sewer/waste system. It is a barrier against sewer gases. Field fabricated traps must also have sufficient weir to prevent sewer gases from escaping and not interfere with proper sanitary flow.

ABS zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Forum Monitors Note:
Post Edited. Link Removed or Edited.
Member Banned for Consistently Advertising
Not Allowed On The Site.
Read The Rules In The Announcements.

Last edited by Forum Monitor; 07-04-06 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 06:07 PM
So it goes back to my original question. Can you make your own trap or does it have to be the manufactured traps? Or is it as long as it is a mininum of 2 inches and a max of 4 inches deep. How long horizonally can it go? is there a dimension?
This is actually a great code question. There is absolutely no reason why you can not make your own traps. (Steve) Dunbar has the answer you are looking for "self scouring". Your design does not meet that criteria.

This is really a code dependant answer but the codes are very similar. The material used for the trap has to be "approved". It has to be as close as possible to the fixture outlet as possible. The max/min water seal will vary with some codes. The design must have an unobstructed flow that allows non-restrictive, self scouring flow from the fixture. (this is the killer on your design)

Good luck with your project and ask more questions if you have them...someone will answer them.

Old 07-01-06, 07:51 PM
What you have built would drain very slowly due to the depth. It seems straigtforward to put a P-trap direcly below the box at the proper depth and run the arm over to the Tee. I hope that pipe going up from the Tee is the vent, and not a drain from above.

Plastic pipe is NOT allowed for dryer vents, and reducing from 4 to 3 in any case is not approved by the dryer manufacturer and would cause poor performance of the dryer.