Vent Pipe Relocation

Old 06-22-06, 01:00 PM
mikedesc
Visiting Guest
Vent Pipe Relocation

Hello All:

I am afraid I need some expert advice.

I am in the process of installing some new in the wall medicine cabinets and upon opening a bathroom wall where I was going to install the cabinet, I uncovered a 3"pvc vent pipe which needs to be relocated.

Unfortunately, I can only move the pipe to the left a maximum of 4" before running into an outside wall stud.

The ideal situation is to find some flexible pipe and cut the existing vent pipe above and below the opening and go from there. Can I do this and where can I locate the flexible pipe? The only other options may possibly be to use 4-22.5 degree offsets but I don't have enough room below the opening to install them unless I remove the floor cabinets and that right now is not an option. The flexible pipe needs an inside ID the same as the 3" PVC pipe OD.

Any ideas?

Old 06-22-06, 04:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is no "flexible" piping made for plumbing systems that is either code approved or legal for your application.

You are on the right track for the idea of using 22's to move the piping.

Make sure you brace off the vertical pipe above before cutting; the weight of the PVC depending on whether it is cell core or true solid core......can weigh quite a bit and will come down from the roof if you are not careful.

Old 06-22-06, 06:18 PM
mikedesc
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response although it makes life much more difficult but we will prevail.

I have another question: how do I splice the assembly together? By the time I build up enough sections including the offsets, I don't see how I can fit it in without a union type of connector. I think there is a way, but don't see it right now. I am assuming that I won't get enough movement to slip the final connection together.

Thanks again,

Old 06-23-06, 11:03 AM
mikedesc
Visiting Guest
Mr. Dunbar- Vent Pipe Question

Thank you for answering my previous question regarding flexible pipe and securing the stack as it goes through the roof. You are correct, it is self supporting and I would have a bunch of pipe in my lap if I didn't secure it first..

Now that I have the wall open and determined that it is almost impossible to move the 3" stack enough to install the medicine cabinet, I have a new question. Can I reduce the 3" stack to a 2" line with suitable offsets to get it past the cabinet opening and then recouple to the 3" line where it goes up into my attic? This seems like the easiest way to get it done. This is schedule 40 PVC piping. BTW, this appears to be the only stack for the house from what I can see looking around in the attic.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-23-06, 11:08 AM
mikedesc
Visiting Guest

Sorry for starting a new thread but I didn't know if you reviewed past threads once you have given your advice.

Thank you for answering my previous question regarding flexible pipe and securing the stack as it goes through the roof. You are correct, it is self supporting and I would have a bunch of pipe in my lap if I didn't secure it first..

Now that I have the wall open and determined that it is almost impossible to move the 3" stack enough to install the medicine cabinet, I have a new question. Can I reduce the 3" stack to a 2" line with suitable offsets to get it past the cabinet opening and then recouple to the 3" line where it goes up into my attic? This seems like the easiest way to get it done. This is schedule 40 PVC piping. BTW, this appears to be the only stack for the house from what I can see looking around in the attic.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-23-06, 03:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately......no. If that is the only one going through the roof, that was the code approved design initially.

If that bathroom you was working on was a secondary or third bathroom, you could of done what you described and reduce the size.....but you'd have to increase it right back.

In my opinion I know the idea you came up with will work, it just isn't code. You yourself have to make the call whether you want to alter your system in that way. To each their own and I know that some code violations are less disruptive than others. But I don't approve of any plumbing installation not done up to par....part of being a licensed plumber for much respect what I do on a daily basis which is correcting code violations.

But I rip mattress tags off all the time and they haven't caught me yet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: