Toilet doens't finish flush

Old 07-02-06, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet doens't finish flush

We have 1 toilet that will not completely flush after useage. Bowl fills and some water goes down, but not everything leaves on each flush. The bathroom is right in the middle of the house, so no wall cleanout is visible.

I have a 3/8" X 75' snake can I just go down thru the bathroom vent on the roof? Where the bathroom connect to the rest of the main it is running freely.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-06, 03:07 PM
Could be a couple of things wrong. There may be something wedged in the trap of the toilet bowl. A Closet Auger is the best tool for this. Rent or buy one for $10 to $20. Could also be a clogged vent. Drainlines need air to operate properly. Vents are where the air comes from. If the vent is clogged (birdsnest, spiderwebs covered with leaves etc) no air will flow and you draw a vacuum. This stops the flow of water and waste. You can check this on the roof with a flashlight. Then flush with a gardenhose after removing anything you can by hand. A 3/8" snake will probably just go through a clog and reseal shortly after you do it. You could also try an Enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare by Zep. Safe for all drain systems. Enzyme cleaners cling to and eat organic matter unlike caustic cleaners that eat a small hole and then run down the piping. Takes overnight but does work. Follow label directions including using hot water. About $8 at Home Centers and hardware stores. Good luck and reply back with the results.

Old 07-03-06, 06:59 PM
Well after trying a bunch of things we finally figured it out. It looked there might have been a tiny bit of leakage so I pulled the toiletfigured I would install a new wax ring. Closet flange looked clean from what I could see, so I ran a snake & also used the hose on it.

Looked at the bottom of the toilet to make sure nothing was lodged in there, it was clean.

So I set the toilet back up, just looking in the bowl trying to figure something out. Low and behold I spot the problem. We have very hard water here, and usually have some mineral deposits after a while. The hole that the water shoots out of was almost closed from deposits. So I took a small knife and scraped the minerals out of it. Reinstalled and bingo good to go.

Thanks for the ideas and response.

Old 07-03-06, 07:10 PM
Every couple months, shut off the supply valve and pour some vinegar down through the flapper hole before going to bed. This will help control calcium deposits in the bowl.