Heating Pipes

Old 07-03-06, 03:57 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Heating Pipes

Is there any danger of fire from the baseboard heating pipes touching wood such as floor joists, studs etc. The reason I ask is in my basement the heating pipe that runs through the baseboard at one point goes up from the baseboard on the floor to the ceiling before returning to more baseboard on the floor,eventually going back up to the ceiling, etc. Where the pipe "hangs' from the ceiling there is some play - in other words if I push up on it, it can move up about 1-2". I'd like to push it up & secure it there with a pipe hanger to give myself more clearance to finish the ceiling in the basement. I have two concerns - 1. Is there any significant risk of a fire hazard by potentially pushing the pipe against wood eg. the joists/floor boards, etc? As it is the pipe already looks like it leans against the wood at various places & though I know it gets hot does it really get hot enough to cause the wood to catch fire? 2. Am I risking stressing the pipe by removing the "play" making it more prone to cracking/breaking? Thanks

Old 07-03-06, 04:41 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you could insulate the pipe from the wood before strapping it. as far as streesing the pipe, sorry I can't see it you'll have to use your own judgement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: