PVC to Horizontal below ground cast iron

Old 07-03-06, 06:45 AM
Question PVC to Horizontal below ground cast iron

Can someone tell me what the best and approved method is for tying into the horizontal cast iron drain line hub with PVC piping? The cast iron pipe is in the soil below the concrete. My understanding is the Fernco type fitting is not acceptable for below ground applications.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-06, 07:07 AM
I know Fernco fittings are not allowed in concrete and I believe you are correct about underground. Try a No-Hub brand fitting/connector. Good luck.

Old 07-03-06, 09:20 PM
I looked a little further into the Fernco non-hub coupler. It looks as if using it under ground may be acceptable after all since the earth prevents it from expanding. This apparently is the difference between the Fernco and other shielded no-hub couplers. My concern with both types, though, is mainly with the mechanical strap failing under ground. If it has a stainless steel strap will it not fail? The Cast iron pipe that I want to connect the PVC pipe to does have a hub and it would be much easier to NOT have to cut the hub off. Fernco makes what’s called a donut, which takes the place of lead and oakum, and apparently will couple PVC to cast iron. And it has no mechanical fastener that could possibly fail. Any comment on these?