Sewer: how to plug & how deep?

Old 07-04-06, 11:36 AM
Sewer: how to plug & how deep?

hello,
i've read about testing the sewer by pluging it up (before or after the sewer clean out at the street, still unclear) and then filling it with 10 ft of water above ground. and waiting to see if it leaks.

with what do you plug the sewer line?

and just a side question, is the sewer under the street always 6 ft? does the house sewer line run gradually down to 6 ft all the way along the house, or does it just run 1/4 inch per foot down, out to the street and then drop into the main line?

thanks for the info.

m

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-06, 12:00 PM
You MAY be able to rent an inflatable pipe plug to plug the main, but you also need to plug every other drain outlet that is less than 10 feet above the stack you are filling with water. Otherwise, all your fixtures will overflow into the house (toilets sinks etc.
Not all sewer lines are the same depth. Depends on how and when they were run. Most tie-ins I have seen use a 45 degree elbow to make the final depth adjustment. Good luck.

Old 07-04-06, 04:27 PM
thanks a lot majakdragon,

just curious, is the final depth adjustment usually AFTER the sewer clean out on the street?

m

Old 07-04-06, 05:02 PM
Not sure what you mean by "after the sewer clean-out on the street". If you have a clean-out near the street (which is not usual) the pipe goes to the sewer main after the cleanout (towards the street).

Old 07-11-06, 09:41 PM
there is a sewer clean out on the side of the sidewalk close to the street.

- so when i open that up and push the inflateable plug down there, how do i navigate it towards the house and not towards the sewer main before i inflate it?

also, mr. majak,to reword my previously clumsy question, i was just curious if that 45 degree drop usually happens between the sewer clean out fitting and the main line under the street - meaning the gradual sewer drop up to the sewer line might only put it a few feet under ground. i can't see why anyone would drop the line deeper than 1/4 in per foot before the clean out, but anythings possible.

thanks for all your help.

Old 07-12-06, 11:59 AM
Most sewer line have to be at least 12 " under ground , and usally are after they have run the length of the house. Maybe up north they have frost issues. but from the house outlet to the street you grade down 1/4" and then make the final drop into the sewer. To put you air test ball in you will probley have to dig down to pipe, cut off the riser clean out so you can put the ball in on the horizanal run of the pipe. use a hand pump to pump air into ball. Not sure why you would be do this unless this is a new line. You normal have all the pipe uncoverd to see leaks.