Cast iron re-locate

Old 07-05-06, 10:12 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cast iron re-locate

Hi,

I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel and have a question in regards to the cast iron drain and vent for the sink.
With the new layout I need to move the sink drain over one stud cavity. Currently the cast iron drain and vent have a tee on it that runs out through the wall that is the sink drain. So, could I just rotate the connection, run the drain horizontally in the wall and then elbow back out through the wall into the new cabinet? If so, what is the chance I could actually rotate the existing iron tee? It is not threaded, but has a hub on the drain pipe coming up through the slab and the tee has a hub that the vent stack fits into. I've never worked on cast iron before. If I cut the vent stack could I just pull the tee piece off and replace it and the part of the vent cut off? How is the cast iron sealed/connected to the pipe in the hub?

I've tried linking a picture of the current connection, I hope it works.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...100IatGjRy5YsR

Thanks in advance,.
Marc

Old 07-05-06, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The cast iron pipe is connected with lead in the hub(s). It looks as though you have enough room above and below to cut the tee out with a set of cast iron snappers, which you can rent. You need enough pipe left to connect No-hub or Fernco adapters that go from cast to PVC. Problem I see is that by moving the drain over one stud, you will have to have a ventline coming out above the sink drain and tying back into the main stack. Unless Air Admittance Valves are permitted in your area. Good luck.

Old 07-05-06, 12:07 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
I'll go get a no-hub connector and look to see how much straight pipe I need before cutting the cast iron.

I'm an not clear on your comment about the vent coming out above the sink. The drain from the sink into the stack-vent Y fitting is 9" above the floor currently. If I am just moving the inlet to that Y 18" to the right, how does that effect the vent?

Thanks again,
Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: