Drilling into Cast iron Soil Stack

Old 07-10-06, 02:47 PM
BuddyGoodness
Visiting Guest
Drilling into Cast iron Soil Stack

I am wanting to install a saniflo toilet in my basement because breaking into the floor is not an option. I am putting it about seven feet away from the soil stack and the stack is cast iron. I am trying to figure out how to put the discharge pipe into the stack and I figured drilling into the cast iron seems feasible. I know cast iron is fragile so I figured it I keep hosing down the bit as I drill into it will keep it from getting too hot, causing the iron to crack. If I can get the hole in and then use some tap and die to thread a hole that I can screw a piece of PVC into would this sound like a decent solution? If this idea is downright insane, please let me know and maybe point me in the direction of a better idea. I don't know if it is possible to remove a part of the cast iron stack and replace it with pvc or not but is this a possibility? If it is how would I seal the pvc and the iron together?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-06, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think I would buy a sanitary "T" and sawzall the cast pipe. Then install the "T" with no hub fittings.

Old 07-10-06, 03:19 PM
Follow Mattisons advice. Tapping cast iron is almost impossible. Use a PVC tee and two No-Hub couplings that are made for transition from cast to PVC. Should be able to find these couplings at Home centers or a Plumbing Supply store. Good luck.

Old 07-10-06, 03:32 PM
BuddyGoodness
Visiting Guest
Could someone post a link to a picture of no-hub couplings so I make sure I get the right items?

Old 07-10-06, 03:33 PM
BuddyGoodness
Visiting Guest
would a wye be better than a T?

Old 07-10-06, 03:51 PM
A sanitary t would be best.

Here's a picture of a "Fernco" no-hub fitting. The hardware guy will know what you need. Just be sure he knows you are going from cast to pvc. http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e8...on67/nohub.jpg

Old 07-10-06, 05:55 PM
BuddyGoodness
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Old 07-10-06, 10:59 PM
You might look into renting soil pipe cutters - a sawzall could take forever. A grinder with a cutting wheel would also work (wear eye protection).

mattison: why a tee? I personally prefer larger radius fittings (like a wye) for waste, esp when it's pumped.

Old 07-11-06, 04:16 AM
A "Y" would work just fine with a 45 or if you can find one with a long radius if that's what you want to use. I just prefer a sanitary t. No issue with either that I know of.